Thursday, September 8, 2022

Supreme Court of the United States History Reflection

 

Supreme Court of the United States History Reflection



____________________________________________________________
    

It was very interesting to hear about the history of the Supreme Court from History's Supreme Court History article. This article explains the many aspects of this court, from the structural changes to the many important cases decided upon that changed history forever. I learned a lot and read many things that I did not know before and now feel better about having read them. I believe the judicial branch is the most misunderstood branch; many do not understand how this branch works and its relationship with the executive and legislative branches. As I reflect on my knowledge gained from the Supreme Court article and videos, here are some main pointers to help me do just that! 

  • Things I learned that I didn't already know: 
Before reading this article, I did not know that when George Washington set up the Supreme Court, he instituted 6 justices. For some reason, I always thought that the number of justices that we have now is how many we had in the beginning. I also did not know that the justices had to participate in circuit proceedings twice a year until that was changed in 1891. And lastly, I knew that John Jay was a part of the founding of this country and a writer of the Federalist Papers, but I did not know that he was the first chief justice for the SCOTUS.


  • My Most Important Take-Away from the Supreme Court Article:

My biggest takeaway from this article is learning about the case that took prayer out of public schools and ceased the public school system’s initiation of that prayer (Engel v. Vitale, 1962). As a Christian, I knew that public schools removed prayer from the school, but I didn’t know how it was removed and that it went all the way to the Supreme Court. It was enlightening to hear about a topic that is highly talked about and heavily discussed within Christian circles and see the legal implications of this issue. It is also interesting to see what Amendment the case was won on. 

Knowing this information, I am inspired to go research the legalities of everyday current issues that I deem important or prevalent in my society and community. My newfound knowledge of this case shows me that knowledge of the topic is not enough; I must know the background behind the topic and be well educated on all the components that make up the case and decision. I should be a scholar and be willing to “do my homework” and not just receive the rhetoric given by the news stations and even people in my circle. It’s my duty and responsibility to be an educated citizen.


  • The Most Surprising Thing That I Learned

The most important thing I learned is that Korematsu v. United States allowed the internment camps of Japanese American citizens. I know that the American government has done some awful things to its people, but I never would have expected a case like this to go to the Supreme Court and be decided in this manner. The ruling is very sad, but it also gives us a point of reference for what we are experiencing today. I mean, we don't have internment camps and our experiences are not quite like theirs, but we have seen the courts disregard, permit, and aid in the blatant mistreatment of its citizens in some cases.



  • How the Videos Changed the Way I Think of the Supreme Court

Part I and Part II of the documentary about the Supreme Court portrayed this entity in a positive light. It shows us the day-to-day affairs of these justices and their colleagues. It gives me a more in-depth look into the cases that we know about or have read about. This documentary shows the justices in a way that makes them human, just with a huge job to do. It also gives the historical background and build-up toward the Supreme Court that we now know. It changed my way of thinking being that they get over 100 new cases a week and over 1,000 a year. I just thought that they get a case every now and then. 

It also changed the way that I see the justices and their intention with cases. Clarence Thomas stated that because of media reporting, many American citizens are confused or don't understand what the cases and the rulings actually mean for them. (Reminds me of the majority feeling toward the Dobs case that overturned Roe.) And Justice Thomas’ statement caused me to realize that I need to go and look at the official documents and opinions for these cases so I can get the information “straight from the horse’s mouth.” Because of the news, I could have wrongly interpreted or viewed a Supreme Court case in the past and created false conclusions based on them. 

My view of the case opinions has changed as well. I knew what they were but did not really understand the drafting process. The first draft takes up to four weeks to complete! I don’t know how long I thought it would take, but I didn’t think it would take that long. I somewhat thought that things worked a little faster for some reason, but because of the strenuous nature of this lifetime appointment, I have a new-found respect for these justices and the work that they do for this country and its citizens.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

  My  Relationship with Technology and Its   Relationship with Me Technology has been such a blessing in the advancement and growth of civi...